RESTORATION OF ANCIENT "SLATE ROAD" IN LAVAGNA (GENOA), ITALY
Client: Lavagna City Council
Subject: Concept and Detail Architecture design
Project: AR&P with A.Boccardo
Size: 1167 m
One of the most important resources for the Liguria has always been the stone of slate, which provided over the centuries material for the construction of roofs and pavements, from the Fontanabuona Valley to the coastal towns.
The town of Lavagna from the second half of the nineteenth century becomes the main hub on the sea: on its beaches the ancient boats "leudi" were loaded with the precious material coming from the hinterland.
This path, largely preserved, retains the valuable features of the landscape of the era in which it performed a variety of functions: road linking the coast and the inland, road to service cultivated terraces, and important transit route for women who carried the slate.
The restored route connects the municipal areas of Lavagna and Cogorno, making a direct pedestrian connection between the coastal environment and the hills behind. This makes it particularly strategic to create connections between the initiatives already present in the two areas. The highlights of the work were the cultural diffusion of slate history, the use of an agricultural landscape with exceptional characters and very well maintained, views of the Tigullio Gulf and easy access.